A VIN is a short form for a Vehicle Identification Number, which is a 17-digit number that is unique for every vehicle. It came into existence in the year 1954 but was popularized in 1981. It contains a lot of information regarding the vehicle and helps people when they want to purchase a used vehicle. It is crucial to learn about VIN and how to decode this to get the most out of it.
You can find your vehicle’s VIN on the outside bottom of the windshield. But not every vehicle has the VIN number in the same place. You will have to look at plenty of places to find your vehicle’s VIN in the car. You can learn about previous car owner by VIN, its accidental history, and many other things. Now, let us learn how you can decode this 17-digit number.
Now, let us have a look at the steps you can follow to decode the VIN of your vehicle.
- The first three digits of the VIN contain information regarding the origin of the vehicle. They are known as WMI or World Manufacturer Identifiers.
- The next digits from 4 to 8 tell about the vehicle descriptor. It is basically the information about the model type of the vehicle, its body type, engine, etc.
- The digit 9 is known as a check digit. It is also a security code or code number that the manufacturer generates in order to identify the whole number or for verifying its authenticity.
- The next digits come into the category of vehicle identifier section. The 10th digit tells you about the model year of the vehicle.
- 11th digit provides information regarding the plant code of the manufacturer. As you know, vehicle manufacturers have their unique codes in which they build various types of vehicles.
- The next digits from 12 to 17 are known as production numbers. They are usually in the form of a sequence and roll through the production line.
Benefits of VIN
Now, you have already learned how much you can learn about a vehicle by just looking at its VIN. But there is much more you can do with it. You can get a free vehicle history report online by doing a VIN check. You can also find vehicle by VIN Number.
Well, this is the information you can get when you have the vehicle, but VIN is used widely before making the decision of purchasing a used vehicle. It can help you from fraudsters and scammers who are trying to sell you a bad vehicle. You can easily learn about the vehicle with a simple online check and make your decision wisely. It will help you to buy the best-used vehicle around.